About Our School
Description of School
Annie R. Mitchell Elementary School (formerly Union Elementary School) served approximately 600 students in grades Pre K through 6 in our first opening during the 2008-09 school year. This year our school family has grown to approximately 800 students. Our teachers and staff are dedicated to ensuring the academic success of every student and providing a safe and productive learning experience. The school holds high expectations for the academic and social development of all students. Curriculum planning, staff development, and assessment activities are focused on assisting students in mastering the new Common Core State Standards, as well as our district goal of increasing student achievement every year.
School Mission Statement
Our mission is to promote high academic achievement, maintain a safe and respectful learning environment, value diversity, and to foster a strong collaborative partnership between school, parents and the community.
We will achieve this by ensuring that students:
- encounter a challenging and interesting curriculum that requires content and instruction ensuring student achievement of agreed-upon academic standards,
- experience a variety of instructional strategies including the use of technology to enhance learning opportunities,
- build high self-esteem through success in personal achievement based on a foundation valuing Hard Work, excellence in effort, perseverance, trustworthiness, caring, responsibility, respect, fairness and citizenship.
- We promote mutual respect between home and school.
- We promote respect and appreciation of diverse groups and cultures.
- We promote effective communication between parents and school.
- We implement outreach strategies to provide information, education and support for parents.
Opportunities for Parental Involvement (School Year 2015-16)
Parent involvement and communication are essential to our school success. Annie R. Mitchell Elementary School continually strives to involve parents by sharing information that helps parents understand and support school programs and by providing opportunities for parent participation in school activities. There are numerous and varied opportunities for parent involvement, including but not limited to, attending school functions, participating in parent-teacher conferences, volunteering in classrooms, working with the Drama Club, helping out in Science Olympiad, and chaperoning field trips. Parents may also serve on advisory committees and leadership teams, including, but not limited to, PTA, the English Learners Advisory Committee (ELAC), School Safety Committee, and School Site Council (SSC). Additional opportunities for parental involvement also exist at the district level.
Parents who would like more information on how to become involved may contact Principal Loretta Bryant or S.A.F.E. Technician Erlinda Deniz at (559) 622-3195.